Academic Policies

Our Advising Expectations

the advising syllabus

Advising is a collaborative relationship between the academic advisor and student to reach meaningful goals. Review our advising syllabus here, and check out the video below for more information on what you can expect from an academic advisor.

Probation Guidelines

What is academic probation?

To make academic progress at the UA, your cumulative UA GPA must be at or above a 2.0. Students with less than a 2.0 UA GPA are on academic probation - and they cannot stay on probation indefinitely. Your first semester on probation is the semester after your cumulative UA GPA falls below 2.0. Understanding B-deficit is the key to knowing what kinds of grades you must get to continue studying at the UA and get off probation.

Learn more about academic probation below.

How do I get off academic probation?

To get off probation, you must make academic progress by reducing and eliminating your B-deficit (see below). Reducing your B-deficit to zero (at which point your cumulative UA GPA will be a 2.0 or above) is the only way to get off probation.

Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO) can impact B-deficit and your academic progress; consult with your advisor to review implications of GRO. To utilize a GRO, you must file a request through the GRO Tab on your UAccess Student Center by the appropriate deadline as designated by the registrar.

What is a B-deficit and how do I calculate it?

Please review the following information carefully!

Explanation of B-deficit

A B-deficit is a calculation of how many units of B grades a student needs, assuming the other grades average out to Cs, to be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or above). Students on probation (GPA below 2.0) have B-deficits.

For example: Having a B-deficit of 9 means a student needs 9 units of B to be off probation, with all other grades averaging out to Cs.

Think of it this way: having a B-deficit means you are ‘deficient’ in grades of B. The only way to make up that deficiency is to earn Bs and As.  Reducing your B-deficit to zero (at which point your GPA will be a 2.0 or above) is the only way to get off probation.

How do I reduce my B-deficit?

  • For every three-unit course in which a student earns an A, the B-deficit is reduced by 6.
  • For every three-unit course in which a student earns a B, the B-deficit is reduced by 3.
  • Cs maintain the exact same B-deficit.
  • Ds and Es increase a B-deficit.

How many Bs are you short?

Find your B-deficit

You can find your Cumulative U of A Quality Hours and Current Cumulative U of A GPA through UAccess:

  • My Academics > View Unofficial Transcript > Report Type - Unofficial Transcript
  • Look under QHRS for Quality Hours, and Cum. GPA for GPA

How long do I have to get off probation?

Students are expected to make progress toward good academic standing every semester they are on academic probation by reducing their B-deficits. Students must reduce their B-deficits immediately after the semester when their cumulative GPA fell below 2.0, and they must continue to reduce their B-deficit each semester until the cumulative GPA is 2.0. Failure to reduce a student's B-deficit in any semester may lead to university disqualification.

To reduce your B-deficit, earn at least one B with the rest of your grades averaging to C. The more As and Bs you earn (with the other grades averaging out to C), the faster you will be off probation.

Grading Options

To review all official UA policies regarding your grading options, refer to the most current catalog. Below is a summary of grading options you should be aware of and approximate deadlines for using these options. For actual dates and deadlines, you should refer to the most current Registration Dates & Deadlines Calendar.


Dropping a course cancels the registration for the course. A dean’s approval is not required. No grade for the course will appear on the student’s permanent record.


The grade of W is awarded to students who withdraw by the appropriate deadline. A grade of W does not affect your GPA. 

Complete Withdrawal

In the case of a complete withdrawal from the University, if a student withdraws within the appropriate timeframe, a student will receive the grade of WC on their transcript for all classes within that term.  Withdrawal grades are not included in the GPA.

PLEASE NOTE: Performing a complete withdrawal does not guarantee you will be eligible to return the following semester if you are on academic probation because you will not have reduced your B-deficit. To determine if a complete withdrawal is right for you, please meet with an academic advisor.

ALSO NOTE: If you have extenuating and/or medical circumstances, you may have other options; please consult with your academic advisor for more information.


The grade of “I” may be awarded only at the end of a term, when all but a minor portion of the course work has been satisfactorily completed. The grade of “I” is not to be awarded in place of a failing grade or when the student is expected to repeat the course; in such a case, a grade other than “I” must be assigned.  Students should make arrangements with the instructor to receive an incomplete grade before the end of the term. If the incomplete grade is not removed by the instructor within one year (the last day of finals one year later), the “I” grade will convert to a failing grade. See more information on the "I" grade here.

Pass/Fail Option

For certain courses, a qualified student may elect to register under the pass/fail option. Under such registration, the only final grades available to the student are P (pass) or F (fail).  To receive the grade of P, the student must be doing work comparable to a D or better.  If a course is taken under the pass/fail option, the grade of P or F will be permanently recorded.  If the course is passed, the units of credit will be applied toward graduation.  Pass/fail grades are NOT included in the GPA.

Undergraduate students may elect to take courses under the pass/fail option only after they have attained sophomore standing and only if they have earned grade-point-averages (GPAs) of 2.000 or better.

Courses taken under the pass/fail option must be electives only, and may not be used to fulfill general education, major, minor, or other specified curriculum requirements.

The deadline to change from a regular grade to pass/fail or audit, or vice versa, is usually a few days before the drop deadline (approximately 3 weeks into the fall/spring semesters).


Audit is a registration status allowing students to attend a course without receiving credit. Audit units do not count toward full-time status. The grade of O is awarded for courses taken for audit, which is not included in the GPA.

Important dates and deadlines

You must be aware of the dates and deadlines to take advantage of all options; you can find this information in the most current Registration Dates & Deadlines Calendar.

Winter and summer sessions have very different deadlines; they occur much sooner because the sessions are more condensed than in fall and spring. The complete withdrawal deadline is the last day of classes for the fall/spring semesters before finals.

Every semester, you should make a note in your personal calendar of when the drop and withdraw deadlines are; you can even schedule an appointment with your academic advisor before these dates each semester so you can discuss your current grades in each class and review the best options for your academic success.

Who can help me understand probation and my options?

As part of your probationary status, you must discuss your situation with your academic advisor.  Advisors make note of student interactions; at the end of the semester, the Colleges of Letters, Arts, and Science Academic Standards Committee will be checking advisor notes to confirm that you connected with your advisor.

In addition, we urge you to use the tutoring and academic resources offered at the UA and to meet with your instructors. The University of Arizona has many resources to help you succeed, and it is critical that you take advantage of the opportunities available to you.

To schedule an appointment with your advisor call 520-621-7763 or drop by Bear Down Gym. If you have any questions about your B-deficit, you can also email your advisor.

It is your responsibility to understand what it means to have a B-deficit, and take the steps necessary to reduce your B-deficit so that you are no longer on probation.

What happens if I don't make academic progress?


Upon recommendation of the Dean of the college, a student may be placed on academic probation or may be disqualified at any time for neglect of academic work.

If you do not make progress towards getting off academic probation, you may be disqualified from the College and the University. If you are disqualified from the University, you can no longer take coursework at the UA.


Students who have been disqualified or who have left the university on probation have no assurance of readmission to the University of Arizona.  If you plan to apply for readmission, contact the College you plan to enroll in to find out their readmission policies and processes.

Typically, to be eligible for consideration for readmission after disqualification, students need to have completed a minimum of 24 transferrable units from another institution (such as a community college) with a minimum GPA of 3.0.

At that point, students may apply for consideration of readmission, either to the Colleges of Letters, Arts, and Science or to any other academic unit at the UA, through the Office of Admissions.

Please note that there are specific application deadlines for students who left the University of Arizona on academic probation or disqualification, as well as additional readmission criteria that may be specific to different academic units. Contact the academic unit at the UA you would like to gain readmission to for additional information.

I believe I deserve an exception – what can I do?

Please note that failure to know and meet policies and/or deadlines do not qualify you for an exception. Students must remain currently informed about all policies and other information that bears directly on completing a degree program. Petitions are only considered if the student can justify the petition with extenuating circumstances.

College Petitions

Students in the Colleges of Letters, Arts, and Science may petition CLAS for an exception to specific rules, regulations or policies if they have extenuating circumstances that justify the exception.

College Petitions may be filed for exceptions to:

  • the deadline to drop or withdraw from a class
  • substitute a general education requirement
  • the graduation requirements for the majors within CLAS

How it works:

  • CLAS Petitions can be obtained at our main office in Bear Down Gym.
  • The completed petition with all documentation is turned in to the main CLAS Academic Advising Center office, and the petition will be reviewed by the Director or a committee, depending on the type of petition.
  • The decision of CLAS is final.

University General Petitions

Undergraduate students may petition the University Petitions Committee for relief if they believe they deserve redress or exception to university rules, regulations, or policies regarding academic affairs.

Examples of reasons to file a University General Petition:

  • Retroactive withdrawal or add
  • Extension of incomplete grade that has turned to an E
  • Change of catalog year
  • Waiver of other University policies

How it works:

  • Petition forms may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar or from the college dean.
  • The completed form with all relevant facts and supporting evidence is submitted to the college dean for recommendation.
  • The dean forwards the petition and recommendation to the Office of the Registrar, who then forwards the petition to the University Petitions Committee for action.
  • The decision of the University Petitions Committee is final.

See University General Petitions for details.